Considering most of the negativity that is tied to the media, specifically in the U.S., I did not find this video too shocking, though I would probably be blown away if instances like this were not in the media. The media is very essential in collaboration with politics and power, as it is key in establishing and maintaining a certain cultural hegemony here in the United States. As a political science minor, it was interesting to read Clark and Ivanic, and compare their theories on hegemony to my Marxist readings on cultural hegemony by Italian philosopher, Antonio Gramsci.
The news company in this particular scenario obviously used various audio and video technologies to alter the original interview of the little boy. In my opinion, I think it is clear that the media in the U.S. has strategically portrayed young African-American males as hostile, bestial and maniacal. Given the size and location of this particular news company that produced the footage, they definitely committed this falsehood for promotion and to increase the number of viewers business-wise. Though again, we have a scenario where the media and other polities are benefiting off of the backs of the lower socio-economic class citizens, and the minority races, with Blacks constantly present in the lower strata. This is one of the corrupt features present in the United States. This kind of socio-economic corruption in the media, in its systemic form, has robbed present and succeeding generations the opportunity to thread history, information and knowledge that is factual. Through this kind of information manipulation, truths are mixed with lies, and these falsehoods are broadcasted to portray "some" as inferior as "others".
If I were to write my version of this story, I think it would be important to broadcast to the viewers, a story that would highlight the issue of a loose gunman running about in those two Chicago southside neighborhoods. I think it would have been important to denote a safety issue, and that families should be alarmed about their children and their whereabouts, and how they can stay safe. I think it is very important to be truthful in anything that is said or done, and such media should be a service to the people, not a tool used to socially debilitate a certain people.
2 comments:
I like your choice of colors and typefaces used in your blog. Looks slick!
I agree very much with your post, and in particular with the last part about what you would say if you did the news story. I talked about how I would show the would clip, but your ideas make more sense. The main point should be alarming the community of the loose gunmen.
Thanks :-)
I'm glad we see eye to eye there...
Post a Comment